Monday, October 19, 2015

Llama, Llama, Missionary Drama!!

(Being a Missionary Momma is TOO stressful. They send letters like this home, and I am left wondering about a million different questions. I wish he could just get a companion that he clicked with instead of one that wanted to kill him!!)

Mother and Father,

   Well, this week was one for the books. We can forget the last one, this week gets the, "Llama, Llama, Missionary Drama" Award. I don't even know how to begin to describe what happened this week. For starters, I have a new companion. His name is Elder Sommer. I also have a new area. I am serving in the Rinn Valley and Peak View Wards for the time being. They cover portions of Firestone, Frederick, Dacono, Erie, and Longmont. How fun! I do not want to get into details of how this came to be, but I will say, there was a miscommunication, followed by a misunderstanding, followed by anger, and a lack of safety. For the first time in my life, I wrestled before the Lord, trying incredibly hard to align my will with His, and causing me to change myself. I am grateful, for it is the hardest thing I have ever done. However, I believe the changes will last until the end of the transfer, but I can say I feel like I am in a much better situation.

   We had the Peakview Ward Fall Festival this weekend, where they had a chili and macaroni and cheese cook-off. As I was facing one of the most stressful situations of my life, I entered stress-eating mode and ate a lot. I also got my package which caused me to eat a ton of candy. Elder Sommer and I are going to work it off this week. I don't really know what to say about this week other than it has been a lot of stress. Mostly making phone calls, having meetings, staging interventions, etc. The good that has come from it is that I can honestly say I am in the right. I also haven't felt much in the way of doorstep anxiety, which I have had quite a bit of lately. At a door with Elder Sommer, in the dark, with angry dogs barking, I felt peace, which I have not felt in a while.

   A few things about Elder Sommer: He is from West Jordan. In fact, he went to high school with Elder Nielson. (That doesn't really help me much!) His father is Swiss, and Elder Sommer grew up speaking with his father's accent. So, Elder Sommer has a Swiss accent, which is awesome. He was a professional gamer before his mission. He is the second place chess champion in the state of Utah, and a one point, he was ranked as #98 in the world in the popular online game, "League of Legends". He was scheduled to go to the World Championship with a prize pot in the millions of dollars, but his mission call came earlier than expected, and he had to forgo it. He would average making $500 a week playing video games. After his mission he plans on getting a triple major at BYU-Idaho studying Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Computer Science. He is really smart. (I hope so...that makes my head hurt!)

   All I know about this new area is that we have an investigator who is an alpaca farmer, and a few others who are part-member families. In Rinn Valley there is a guy who recently got home from his mission to Oaxaca, Mexico. His name is Andrew Williams, and Grant was his companion in the MTC. We took a picture and he sent it to him. (Did you get it Grant?)

  My ponderize scripture this week is: Doctrine and Covenants 123: 12 "For there are many yet on the earth among all sects,partiesand denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceiveand who are only kept from the truth becausthey know not where tfind it."

I love you all so much, and pray for me as I continue on in this trial. (What is causing this trial to continue??? I want it to END!) I will pray that your return to school will be smooth.

Love,

Elder Andrew Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment