Monday, May 9, 2016

A Lesson on Contentment

(Got to Skype with our missionary, so not much of a letter. He was fighting some kind of stomach crud, so he was on a liquid diet...so feeling kind of yucky and HUNGRY!! I encouraged him to get some music into his life. Andrew lives for MUSIC!!)

Mother and Father,

  Believe it or not, talking to you made me feel much better. Right after our talk I went on Apple Music, got the three month free trial, and downloaded a ton of music. I got a few hundred songs by Bach, a ton of Mormon Tabernacle Choir, some of the more decent music by contemporary LDS artists, some Enya, and a little bit of the ambient electronic piano chill out music I love. It's been great! I think the influx I have now will do me well. I got what I think is a good night's rest last night, too. (Sleep is a cure-all for many things!!)
   This week we were encouraged to find a miracle and take a video of it. We found a friendly cat that let us pet it while proselyting, which was miraculous! I took of video of the cat, which is great. I'll send it to you! (I'm going to try to attach it!)
   I am still not feeling very good, but I am in a much better mood. I have been pondering on the words of Paul, "11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."

Paul has learned an excellent lesson here. My first thought, upon reading this, was that contentment isn't exactly the greatest goal, after all, don't we want to be more than content? But then I realized that Paul is finding contentment in even the worst situations. Paul has achieved emotionally self-reliance. The perfect example of this self-reliance is our Savior Jesus Christ. I have not found this contentment, so I clearly have something to learn yet. I would like to achieve contentment in the Lord. We will one day be glorified in Him. (I am always amazed by the deep thoughts our missionary has. I'm glad he can turn his difficult situations into learning experiences.)

Love,

Elder Andrew Campbell


No comments:

Post a Comment